Thursday, April 12, 2012

April 12, 2012... Today we said Good-Bye to Our friend Lou Jacobs. The Church was full of friends and Family. But most of all Lou was buried in Full Boy Scout Uniform. He had all his Badges on him even the Silver Beaver Award( Highest Award given to an adult for his service to the Boy Scouts)



It was hard to see him today for the last time..Oh what Memories flashed before our eyes. The service was beautiful. The Priest pointed out different things that Lou made in wood working that he did for the church. The Lectern, The Altar, and also the Large Cross on the wall with Jesus Christ on it. He said Lou made all these with the lumber from the same tree...Beautiful!!! He also helped the Boys Scouts redo all the stain windows in the church & also played a big part in the building of the social/fellowship hall.



When Airstreaming, Lou often led the Caravan down the road. Guess who led this Funeral to the cemetery? Yes it was Lou again!! The internment was at Indiantown Gap National Cemetery. We drove about 35 miles together to get there, we were met by the Military Staff and stopped at one of the pavilions for the service. The Military conducted a Full Military Salute to Lou( He was a Korean Veteran). 21 Gun Salute, Taps, and also the Flag ceremony with a presentation to Stephanie.



Afterwards we gathered at a local restaurant for some refreshments and to talk about memories. Today was hard for me because of losing a friend who had the same interests as me. I will always remember his out going personality and friendship. "Good Bye Lou" but always on my heart!! God Bless...... Amen

2 comments:

  1. Dear Mr Ober,
    My name is Lauren Heinly and I am the oldest granddaughter of Lou. I am sorry I did not have the pleasure of meeting you yesterday. It sounds like you were a very great friend to him. He was a great man who will be missed by many. It is so heart warming to hear sorties shared by those he loved and those that loved him. Thank you for your kind words. He was lucky to have you for a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Airstreamers!

    J Jacobs here, Lou and Stephie's son...

    I came back to the website today to look at the pictures one more time of my dad (and mom) posted by the one-and-only AirstreamHobo. I want to say I was very, VERY touched by them and finally when I first saw them and got to actually SEE a history of the good times dad had with the club. Had I realized y'all had such a good time, I would have gone on some of them! I don't see my mom smile all that much, but she's smiling a lot on the trips too.

    The 'show' that the club members made at the viewing and services yesterday was overwhelming. My uncle even commented, "Everyone is from the club!!!" To say the least, you all made a lasting impression! I want to thank you for giving my mom and dad the memories they have, and for sharing YOUR lives with us as well. It is humbling, ...very humbling.

    Today we are going to Indiantown Gap Cemetery to see dad's final resting place. I'll be sure to tell him he's in your thoughts. Obie - THANK YOU for the way you put together the pictures. That was very special to me. We all look to move on now that dad is in a better Place. I will be monitoring my mom and dad's email account from time to time. But if anyone wants to reach me, use JJacobs58. That address is a Comcast address. (I don't want my address to be 'mined' on the internet, so I broke it into pieces.....)

    God bless you all and do have many more happy, and safe, travels!!!

    All my best,
    J

    ReplyDelete